Baby Doll

Tell us what you thought about the March 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

A hint...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

The gold bracelet... think about it.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
g78q2tI

Post by g78q2tI »

Well, You are right, but you better look at this point of view http://sourceradix.com/m/tnn.html
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

The author's explanation (SPOILERS!)

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

You might want to skip the following unless you have already read "Baby Doll"... to view the text, highlight the blacked-out lines.

[spoiler]Ian Dough equals the name “John Doe.” So he is caught up in the must buy capitalism of the holiday. “Scratch” is another name for the “Devil.” So Ian Dough sells twenty-five percent of his soul to the devil so as to follow the demands on all John Does to buy under the holiday consumerism, and he thus sells the soul he gave to his daughter (twenty-five percent) to the Devil for a doll

Recall Aunt Bea’s sales push, it shows that the doll got by the soul sell will arrive at his house that night. The “golden bracelet” on all the dolls appears on Baby May’s arm, thus she has been turned into a lifeless baby doll and her soul is now owned by the Devil. A great Xmas present for Molly, Ian’s wife.

[/spoiler]
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I wish that I would have read this story first!!!

I can say that it was well written, with all the needed elements for
good story telling.

I like the corvette. Like how the lady is described as 'Aunt Bea' looking---which relaxes the reader some---and also like how 25% of a soul was required. Never heard that one before! Nice!

Good one!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “March 2009”