The Pen is Mightier... by Larissa March

Tell us what you thought about the April 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Hmmm...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

My impression was that Lady Marion somehow recognized her life story, not the Book itself... of course, it's been a while since I actually read the piece, so I may have that bit wrong.

Larissa, coordinate...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Nice read! Interesting! And short.

I always liked someone who could think fast on his/her feet, and Amy was no exception. Tossing the book into the fire took nerve preceeded by quick thinking under stress.

I enjoyed this one! :D
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

More literary relatives of this story

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

(Sound of palm smacking forehead)

Nobody has mentioned the "Inkheart" books by Cornelia Funke (the basis for the recent movie starring Brendan Fraser). In them, certain people have the ability to cause objects and people from stories to materialize...

And, of course, in Jasper Ffolkes's Thursday Next books, certain people have the natural ability to materialize characters or objects from books, OR to read themselves INTO books. (Some others are able to do this with the aid of might-as-well-be-magic technology.)

Amy might be an untrained Reader... which raises the possibility of sequels to this story. After all, how long can someone who has rejected television in favor of books be satisfied with "Samoan Idol", "So You Think You Can Play the Spoons", and the umpteenth spin-offs of "Lawn and Garden" ("Lawn and Garden: Ceramic Gnome Unit") and "CSE-I-E-I-O"? Sooner or later, she might backslide and pick up some novel with Fabio (or his successors) on the cover, or a vampire, or Fabio AS a vampire). Or she might get so caught up in a storyline that she causes real-world versions of her favorite characters to appear...

The mind boggles.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2009”