Blue Sky

Tell us what you thought about the April 2009 issue!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Here we have psychological tale that shows the un-rest and anxiety that can be associated with a death of a loved one. But there is much more to it than just despondency.

The Lilliputian referred to suggests guilt, possibly. Intense guilt bubbling up and generated by an act that Osmond had control over, but he neglected his responsibility . Or so the story infers.

The grim mental state that he and his wife share are painted by good use of words that show their grief and the hell that has become their universe. Good techniques are employed so that we may enter into their hell, and see how feelings can control us!! Showing is used, and in this story it really worked. Just imagine if this story were told! All the effect would be lost!!! Narration was used when only needed.

As I said before, we have a psychological tale pointing towards an intellectual read that might be enjoyed by Edgar Allen Poe fans.

All through the story, Zach is seen and reference to by Osmond and Jeanie. Usually, it’s a ghost, but in this story I think the image of Zach is something else.

Towards the end of the story, Osmonds is shopping in a grocery store. A lady comes up and talks to Zach who is in a child’s seat in the shopping cart, I presume. Zach disappears before the lady’s eyes when Osmond’s attention is disrupted by her voice!! And we have a reference to the Lilliputian again. Zach might have been a projection from Osmond’s mind! If that is the case, then it is a very nice twist, much more believable than the old classic ghost. Unless ghosts are just mental images projected by one’s mind.

The ending with Jeanie presented many possibilities. Jeanie traded herself of Zach. She disappears, and Zach becomes whole again! But is it death, transfiguration, or dimensional shifts that take place with Jeanie?

Quite a nice read with real thought-provoking scenes that parallels reality but also introduces a supernatural scene at the end.

A nice dark, eerie read that I enjoyed. :D
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “April 2009”