Torn by Ben Cooper

Tell us what you thought about the June 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I believe they can fly...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Imagine an amphibious creature with bladders that can be filled with a lighter-than-air gas... now add a cephalopod-like ability to expel water or air in a jet. (Both propulsion and control of buoyancy would be achieved by relaxing or contracting the muscles surrounding the gas-filled and pass-through ("jet propulsion") bladders...)

Revenge of the flying calamari!

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Torn

bottomdweller wrote:Revenge of the Flying Calamari? - Religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Pastafarians Unite!

When all else fails, hit it with a stick!
Shh! It is not for unbelievers to know the secret symbolism of the Sacred Noodles! C'thulhu ftagn (sorry, had something stuck in my batrachian gland).

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

A-ha!

unforgibbon wrote:I suppose the creatures did spread pretty quickly, but who knows what th heck's coming through a rip in the fabric of reality... I suppose one reference point might be the spread of our most recent pandemic. Those beasties found a way to move around the world at a decent clip.
So the tentacled creatures found a way to spread by depending on lousy hygiene! ('Scuse me, gotta go wash me hands.)

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I liked the diary-format and enjoyed the narration very much.

Big squid-like creatures running over Europe, young people hiding in a tunnel, and the unknown lurking outside----no radio or TV to watch so no news coming in---all make for a nice SCI/FI adventure. This was a nice one.

The story did jump around a little, and some things were unique---like giant squid-like creatures taking over Europe. I believe it is well within the possibility of squid-like creature advancing over long distance on land. As Robert noted about gas being used and the jet-propulsion thing!

I like names in stories, and the main character should have had one.

The Hadron Collided in Switzerland has caused some concern about Black Holes being formed.

I went to school for mechanical engineering once----dropped out because of the Johnstown Flood--but was never interested in the nuclear sciences. Most of the world's top scientists said that no Black Hole would be created. I can only go on what they say, and after the first firing of the thing, no Black Hole showed up. Of coursed maybe after the second or third....

A good read! Nice interesting story-line and believable circumstances suggesting the outcome of an experiment gone wrong!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “June 2009”