My Brief Affair ... by Mark Edgemon

Tell us what you thought of the August 2009 issue
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

My Brief Affair ... by Mark Edgemon

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Is the narrator delusional, or was Marilyn's life and death even stranger than the gossip columnists knew? You decide...

If it helps to hear the fellow so you can judge the sincerity in his voice, Mr. Edgemon has kindly provided a link to an audio recording of his testimony. Checkitout.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: My Brief Affair

bottomdweller wrote:It sounds as if Mr. Edgemon had a brief affair with sanity then and decided to return to the ward. Medication anyone? - medication everyone? - it'll be our little secret.
There are so many parts of this story that I enjoyed: The names of the fictious movies; the crawlspace years; the fluidity of time period; My Favorite Alien - ahhhh Martian.
Enjoyed it very much. Thanks.
Sanity? That vicious castrating -- er, sorry. Time wounds all heels. Ask Achilles.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: My Brief Affair...

bottomdweller wrote:I should have known that I couldn't write 3 paragraphs without you guys bringing up spanking. A big slap on the backsides for each of you.
Hey, I didn't bring up spanking. I brought up castration, which is not at ALL similar. (I mean, even extreme masochists wouldn't request THAT.)

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I liked it! This story was built on narration, yet it held my attention. Clark Gable’s death? Well now we know.

Who is Jack Hartley? Is he the little guy running around work causing havoc? You know who I mean. When thing get screwed up for now reason, then it’s the little guy that no one ever sees that does it!! They are everywhere! Yet in this story Jack is possibly seen and known, but all the references to him are passive. And when the Latin dance instructor and Marilyn jump in bed together, Jack is there. I don’t think the Latin dance instructor would want someone watching, so I’m not sure if Jack really is seen.

I’m not sure about the ‘local convenience stores’ during the time Marilyn died. Here in Johnstown, they first appeared around 1976. Of course, we are behind times in Johnstown.

Another slight error: paramedics were not around when Marilyn died. Ambulance attendants took the patients to the hospitals. And most of the ambulances at that time where Cadillac station-wagons retrofitted.

All in all a very good read, and like I said, I enjoyed it!!! That’s what counts!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: the absurd ?

rick tornello wrote:Venture too far in the absurd? Have you looked at the news papers and the web? This is calm compared to reality.

Just a comment.

RT
For example, Michael's doctor didn't give him dangerous drugs in a bizarre combination -- he just gave him some Jesus Juice he found in the refrigerator.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “August 2009”