Editorial

Tell us what you thought of the September 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Random thoughts on Time...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Also

The sun'll come out -- tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
There'll be sun...

(from the musical "Annie")

And

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

(author unknown?)

But

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day like a treasure
And then, again
I would spend them with you...

("Time in a Bottle", Jim Croce)

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?

(The Guess Who)

And finally

Time keeps on slippin', slippin'
Into the future

(I should know what band did this song, but like time, it has slipped my mind.)

Most material in Aphelion depends on time -- it's in the past (or a mythical version of same), the future, or if sort-of-contemporary, across time in an alternate reality (where magic works, or aliens are running things, or...).

What I'd like to know is, if you have a daily-interest savings account, in what units do they record the interest? Minutes? Seconds? And if you make a withdrawal, CAN you get back the hours wasted watching a really bad movie?

:roll:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Editorial

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

bottomdweller wrote:I agree with Einstein. In fact, that was one thing I never understood about a Judeo-Christian heaven:
It says in Revelations, "And time shall be no more" - but if there wasn't anymore time, then how could anything continue to happen in Heaven - or does everyone in heaven - all the angels and everything just stop moving, like they're frozen statues or something?
I'm sure Einstein is glad I agree with him, or else, he would if he wasn't dead - but maybe he's in heaven and he's frozen and wishing someone could stop this whole "And time shall be no more" thing.
Would you believe the zombies ate everybody, and therefore there is no time (in the subjective sense), since dead folks can't read their wristwatches (and calling up the time on their smartphones is completely beyond them)?

Personally, I suspect the phrase was incorrectly translated. The actual meaning was that there will be graham cracker-marshmallow-chocolate treats for everybody. In other words, "It shall be time for s'mores."

:roll:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2009”