One With The Stars by Steele Filipek

Tell us what you thought of the September 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

One With The Stars by Steele Filipek

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Read this story. Ignore the rather clumsy blurb*, and enter a fascinating world where the potentially-immortal descendants of the human race roam the stars in sentient ships -- but still have to deal with love and loss. C'mon...

RM

(*Can't imagine WHO was responsible for THAT.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Poignant high fantasy story with an human interest element carrying the theme along.

Cowrie loved her grandfather and didn’t want him to ‘Go.’ I think ‘Go’ is a better word than die in this story.

As best as I can understand, Cowrie lived on a farm out in the country on the planet Nauta. Her powers of flight are interesting, and it seems that she is humanoid but gifted with magical abilities.

The writing is fair to good but the genre of this story---I can’t think of another word--is worth a word to two.

This story is a mixture of fantasy, Sci/Fi , and a touch of the ‘Waltons’ from the old TV series pitched in! And if you think about it, a touch of Steampunk!

It didn't take long. Cowrie circled Auger's small planetoid in a little more than a minute, unlatching anchors and tightening bolts. Auger, meanwhile, stayed busy beneath the surface, twisting valves so he could settle the orb down onto Nauta's surface.

Cowrie slid across the last few feet of the sphere's brass surface, landing next to her grandfather in a pile of maps. The whole planetoid purred.’

After reading the two paragraphs, I’m sure the author had Steampunk on his mind whether on a conscious level or subconscious! Also, later on references are made to a ship’s Wheel, brass gadgets, and again detaching an anchor.

The spirit of the story is an old one, but it has been re-hashed, setting itself into a world that is creative, very humanistic and just plan interesting to read!

A good one!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “September 2009”