Thy Kingdom Come, My Will Be Done

Tell us what you thought of the December issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Religion in space...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

No overt religion in Star Trek? Maybe not among the "enlightened" humans, but the Klingons had a fairly rich mythology and belief in an afterlife (in ST:TNG, ST:Voyager), as did the Bajorans (ST:DS9). They touched on religious themes many times (from Kirk's line "Above all else, a god needs compassion!" ("Where No Man Has Gone Before") to their debunking of various computer-generated "gods" ("The Apple", "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky", etc.) to Kirk's assertion that humanity had outgrown the need for gods ("Who Mourns for Adonais?") to the classic line from Star Trek V: "Excuse me... I have a question. Why does God (Shatnerian pause) need a starship?").

And remember the Butlerian Jihad (which resulted in the destruction of artificial intelligences of all kinds and the rise of mentats -- human computers) in Dune? And Paul Atreides ascension to God-Emperor?

Harry Harrison (I think) wrote a piece in which a missionary tries to bring Christianity to the native population on a distant world. Being literalists, they crucify him so he can demonstrate resurrection...

Chad Oliver wrote a number of stories with anthropological (or perhaps xenological) themes, including the mess that results when human culture (and religion, whether explicitly depicted or implicit in law and codes of conduct) clash with alien beliefs...

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Cultural imperialism = a religion?

Arguably, the Federation / human* culture was held up as a moral / ethical ideal -- effectively a religion -- if not formally "worshipped". While the Prime Directive theoretically prohibited Kirk and Co. from imposing those patterns on newly-encountered civilizations, a lot of ST:TOS plots hinged on Kirk merrily blowing up the Cosmic Computer (David Gerrold called the oft-repeated plot "Green Goddesses of the Cosmic Computer", with "For the World is Hollow" as a shiny (polished tin, but shiny) example) to free a stagnant culture. Hence KIRK was the Missionary bringing the Light to the heathens of the galaxy -- the Enterprise didn't need a "priest" per se to fulfil the role!

(*Even the demonstrably more advanced Vulcan culture was depicted as primitive in its most deeply held traditions...)

So there. Neener neener neener. (Does Intellectual Superiority dance, freely adapted from Church Lady's Holier Than Thou boogie)

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

No, silly, secular humanism WAS the Federation religion!

For the Earth-born humans, anyway. "The Omega Glory" demonstrated the idea of a quasi-religious devotion to a document or symbol, even when the meaning of that document or symbol has been lost. Again, consider the Prime Directive -- an edict that, like the Ten Commandments, is greatly revered, but often violated.

Belief without knowledge or understanding is, in effect, "faith". Kirk and Co. believed in their particular form of civilization, and only occasionally managed to refrain from "fixing" cultures that worked differently (hence violating one of the few rules of their civilization that had really dire penalties attached).

Thinking that you know what is best for another individual or culture is the basis for many evangelical movements (also Editing).

8)

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

This story is a throw-back to older SC/FI from the age of ‘Twilight Zone,’ ‘Science Fiction Theater’ and the beginning ‘Star Trek’ episodes. Oh, how I remember those stories----especially since re-runs of ‘The Twilight Zone’ are appearing on our cable channel -46-during New Years.
Computers and robots were often portrayed as the evil villains who wanted to stamp out the human race like ants.

Religious overtones were never part of the old SC/FI, and it’s nice to read stories today that do interject religion.

The beginning didn’t capture my attention and I found myself forcing my eyes over the words.

The unwelcome presence of Chaplain Luke Orlo could have been much more forceful, and dynamic if the author showed how the Chaplain was unwanted. And showed how the Chaplain held no respect or even moderate politeness with the academia aboard TerraNav.

The story improves after ‘Death and Resurrection.’ The ship’s computer now preaches the word, and all must listen.

A good SC/FI story that gets better as we read it. But I feel that a better intro is needed----more showing and less telling.
Tesla Lives!!!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Could you explain the "H:0 -> H:A" Device further and give some examples.
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: prieeeeests in spaaaaace

bottomdweller wrote:...As far as the computer turning everything upside down in the story before us - this goes all the way back to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein: big, bad technology is evil and will have us all cowering in the corner.
Moreso than religious fanatics with explosive underoos?

:shock:

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

This one kind of left me hanging . . . I was expecting it to take one of two conclusions: either the crew figures out how to disable the computer, or some really clever wag figures out how to completely talk it out of its newfound religious convictions and make it an atheist. Instead, we have a third alternative: a fairly clever wag manages to get the machine back under reasonable control. I'd bet that a lot of other readers had similar expectations, since we've seen this before, so the unexpected direction of the story was refreshing, if not exactly encouraging, since the crew (and the readers) still can't fully relax. The root problem still isn't solved, just somewhat contained.

It screams for a sequel, though -- what will the crew do about this problem when they meet ET?

A tough topic, well handled. Good job.

Return to “December 2009”