Fast Food Zombies

Tell us what you thought about the March 2010 issue.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: too many zombies

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

bottomdweller wrote:Unfortunately, I think it is possible to have too many zombie...stories. The writing is excellent - it is witty, and the cadence of the words is appealing BUT why waste such talent on one more 'Shaun of the Dead' rewrite? Come on. I love zombies (at least in stories) but there isn't any new territory explored here. True, the zombies weigh 500 pounds, but I don't see anything noteworthy about that. Really, Eric Krause, use your obvious talents on a fresh idea - this whole Shaun of the Dead trip is like beating a dead horse.
Silly rabbit, this isn't a 'Shaun of the Dead' rewrite -- it's a 'Zombieland' prequel! Besides, it raises interesting questions about zombie metabolism (if you're dead, how do you build new (or engorge existing) fat cells?) and appetites (apparently, it doesn't have to be brains -- or even human flesh -- to be appealing to these zombies... then again, who knows what's in fast food ground 'meat'?).

The fun part is the idea of a world where marauding packs of zombies are considered to be a hazard only slightly worse than smash-and-grab robbers, and corporations give their employees briefings on What To Do If Zombies Enter Your Franchise Location. Think of the mayor(?) in "Jaws", valuing tourism dollars more than he does lives -- or, in a darker vein, the Ibsen play "An Enemy of the People" (where a doctor who warns that the water in the tourist-attracting hot springs are polluted, and is ostracized). Or, for that matter, the contradictions in politicians telling us that we are in mortal danger of terrorist attacks -- but that we shouldn't let that stop us from shopping!

Today's Zombie Threat Level is chartreuse...

:roll:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “March 2010”