Is There Something in the Attic By Belinda Rees

Tell us what you thought about the March 2010 issue.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Is There Something in the Attic By Belinda Rees

Post by Megawatts »

Not a bad intro. I like the Gothic style focusing closer and closer in the first person. And the description used in this narrative is forceful giving a further feature of the Gothic novel.

The writing Okay, and word use rather good. I couldn't find anything too wrong with the mechanic.

After the intro, the story started to get boring. Way too much telling without any breathing space.

The author tried to captivate by using suspense, and it didn’t work for me.

I found my mind wondering as I read the story, and I had a hard time concentrating on it.

Too much interior dialogue, and little action outside of her thoughts.

Now the ending was intriguing, and it did wake me up, somewhat. The twist was unexpected, for I thought that a raccoon or some other critter had gotten into the attic.

As I think about the story, I believe the author has talent and this shows by her use of description, word choices and content of the story. The first person did fit this story but more improvement is needed with technique.

Many good phrases were present, and her use of the first person good.

Read more modern popular stories and look for the types of techniques used to create suspense.

Very good attempt :wink:
Tesla Lives!!!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

From the Doppleganger standpoint, this is a really different question.
Yeah, that change in point-of-view is the engine of this story, and it was an unexpected turn. Quite well done.

Return to “March 2010”