The Tin City Good Deal By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

Tell us what you thought about the April 2010 issue!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I liked this one a lot. It reminded me a little bit of "A Boy and His Dog."

Just goes to prove that there's still plenty of material left in the Post-Apocolyptic franchise.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Yeah, me too.

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:I liked this one a lot. It reminded me a little bit of "A Boy and His Dog."

Just goes to prove that there's still plenty of material left in the Post-Apocalyptic franchise.
I liked the Girl's no-nonsense pragmatism. When she saw Moondog fall, she just started prepping for the next candidate in the Get My Ass Away From These Goons sweepstakes. (Being semi-raped by one guy beats the hell out of being gang-raped by a couple dozen. Hence the institution of Holy Matrimony, and a lot of prison romances.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Tin City Good Deal By Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

TaoPhoenix wrote:Wherein comes the name of the lead character? The last time I heard of anything called Moondog it was a reference to pre-Beatles Johnny & the Moondogs.

Plus the ending twist is great. April Fools!
I have no clue how the name wound up in a world where technology has all but disappeared...

"Moondoggie" was the name of Gidget's boyfriend in the "Gidget" movies (i.e., a surfer, dude), and was the source for the name of a character in the "Eureka Seven" anime series.

"Moondog" (from Wikipedia) was the pseudonym of Louis Thomas Hardin (May 26, 1916 – September 8, 1999), a blind American composer, musician, poet, and inventor of several musical instruments. Moondog removed himself from society through his decision to make his home on the streets of New York for approximately twenty of the thirty years he spent in the city. He could be found on the streets of New York wearing clothes he had created based on his own interpretation of the Norse god Thor. Because of his unconventional outfits, he was known for much of his life as "The Viking of 6th Avenue".[1]...

A "moon dog" (from Wikipedia) or moondog (scientific name paraselene, plural paraselenae, i.e. "beside the moon") is a relatively rare bright circular spot on a lunar halo caused by the refraction of moonlight by hexagonal-plate-shaped ice crystals in cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. Moondogs appear to the left and right of the moon 22° or more distant. ...

So the author may have chosen the name to suggest any one of the above . How was our Moondog dressed? Would his layered clothing be at all "Thor"-like? Was he a figurative "bright spot" in this story? Or did he just howl at the moon when he was a baby?

You decide!
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

It’s like Aesop’s fable and the rabbit saying “throw me in the briar patch”
What??!! Uncle Remus was a plagiarist??!! Say it isn't so!

Return to “April 2010”