Darkhall by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Darkhall by McCamy Taylor

Post by Lester Curtis »

This is certainly an unusual piece . . . I'm not sure what Ms. Taylor was after, but reading it felt like trying to navigate in a dust storm . . . at night . . .

Alive? Dead? X+1 reincarnations?

Why would you shut off your ship's life support if it was still working? All very vague and mysterious -- all of it -- and yet, it held my interest, which is enough to say it's worth a read.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

What a story, or perhaps epic if one thinks time in terms of a setting.

I agree with Lester: It was certainly an unusual piece. Some elements of
Slaughter House Five entered my thoughts as I read over the story.

The sun fading into darkness? Must have been an asteroid--possibly a war, but I doubt it--that
sent up dirt which clouded the sky against the sun for year.

There is so much in this story that one should read it several time.

Yuu and the other are almost story within themselves. Here was a clone that is reproduced
over and over again down the generation line.

Yamas are an interesting breed. White skinned, not able to take the sun’s rays, and because of this they thrived in caves and the darkness. This is an interesting race, one that might be linked to light-shinned Irish or Icelandic people who can’t handle the sun too well when on a beach.

The Darkhall, where time and space followed different rules, wasn’t the center of this story, but just an added feature that gave it a nice touch.

Just about everything read in other SF/SCI stories were present in this one. The author composed a motley, mosaic epic that spanned time, and introduced many concepts that other story individually use as there main theme. I hope some others catch this!!

Very good one!!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “September/October 2010”