The Kafka-Harrier by David Hox

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

The Kafka-Harrier by David Hox

Post by Lester Curtis »

This is a very well-written piece, with a clean, efficient style, and very thought-provoking. The premise is interesting, as an exploration of how a future society may choose to deal with miscreants. The use of anything like the Harrier would, of course, be defined as 'cruel and unusual punishment' -- here and now, at least -- but it draws on an old concept: 'As you give, so shall you receive.' No doubt, similar approaches have been used in history, and maybe even recently in some parts of the world.

There are unstated implications here of how this society works, and it reminds me of Orwell's "1984." However, Orwell was describing a large, industrialized nation, which required a police state kind of organization, as may be assumed in this story. The big difference here, being that the enforcers were selected and monitored to prevent their 'crossing the line.'

For people living in small villages, the locals might handle such problems amongst themselves in a similar manner, without the need for a faceless bureaucracy.

Very good story.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

What's the worst thing you can do to a masochist?

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

chemonro wrote:Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed it. Um, would some people commit public nuisance because they enjoy spanking and public humiliation?
Answer to the question in the Subject line: NOTHING.

Presumably, the enforcers might employ corporal punishment the first time, but thereafter, would quietly remove the offender and confine him in comfortable quarters where no one would pay any attention to him at all.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September/October 2010”