Temptress in a Teapot by Richard Tornello

Tell us what you thought of the November 2010 issue!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Temptress in a Teapot by Richard Tornello

Post by Lester Curtis »

Quite a bit of this one went right past me -- that is, if there was anything to it at all . . . is this simply another (very) off-center cautionary about being careful what to wish for?

It reminds me of conversations I've been in after staying awake far beyond the point of exhaustion . . .

By the way, thanks, Rick, for the Michael Parkes reference -- had my hair standing on end. It did wonders to help set the mood for the piece, too.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

glass, glass, cat

Post by Lester Curtis »

I had to dig a little, but I found the others -- and just for anyone else too lazy to dig, but still curiouser, a gift:

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/ ... Glass.html

and:

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/ ... Redux.html

Indeed, it would be nice to gather these three together in some way -- it really does help.

Could I possibly get my next pair of prescription glasses -- mmm, never mind.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I like to use characters interchangeably. Like life, there is no apparent rhyme or reason. So many of my stories are all in an interconnected multiverse if you will.

I get to enjoy them as people, wondering what they will do given a situation (no matter how "real" it may be), and as their personalities grow.

Does that make sense?
It does . . . the project I'm working has characters that could (and I hope do) appear in other stories. I've built an imaginary universe, and this current project just deals with a small set of incidents involving these characters.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: follow ons #2

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Bill_Wolfe wrote:
rick tornello wrote:Just so you know, I tend to use characters from other stories to populate new ones, ie, KITSUNE which is a Japanese Fox spirit. It plays in a number of stories and the personality reflects some of that mythology.
It's also a little annoying, Rick.

I've read both of those previous stories. . .and a million-and-six in between. Thanks to Lester, I reread them, and then reread Temptress in a Teapot (FANTASTIC title, by the way.)

Only after a little research and refreshing, did I understand any part of the thing. I was lost and confused by it, the first time. It didn't make much sense at all, as a stand-alone. Couldn't you at least reference the stories that lead to this one as part of some prologue, or something?
Bill Wolfe
Rick's original version referenced the earlier stories by title. I substituted the synopsish introductory paragraphs...

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “November 2010”