Druglegger's Run by Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Druglegger's Run by Kurt Heinrich Hyatt

Post by Lester Curtis »

Not bad . . . it was a little disorienting at first -- changing scenes are not indicated in any way, like this

or even a double-space, so it took some getting used to.

Good characterization; the plot moved quite smoothly, and the use of slang terms and local names of flora added to the setting.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I like it. I really did. As Lester said it was a little disorienting, and for me a little ‘wordy.’ I always like the ‘Hemingway ‘ approach in which he used few adjectives or adverbs. And when he did, he used the most common words when describing. Yet the reader could easily visualize his scenes and characters.

In this story the wording wasn’t what I’d call wrong or misused. My tastes are not the same as another’s. And that is what makes critiquing interesting: When we read another’s critique, we also get an insight into his/her thoughts, feelings, prejudices and personality.

After getting past the beginning the story came alive with me. It is not unlike ‘Avatar’ but it isn’t a copy either. The author fused drugs, enslaved people, breeding, and even the American Indian into a story the takes on the properties of an epic.

This story is worth reading, and I can promise that it will be an enjoyable read.

It held my interest from beginning to end, and I enjoyed it very much. That is all that a story should do and this one fits the formula.

Good one!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Hmmm, Superiority is proven through violence? And the only way for natives to advance is through interbreeding with the Master Race? Really?
The violence doesn't prove superiority, it's just a way of maintaining control . . . and (in this example), the interbreeding doesn't necessarily improve the species -- it just propagates the violence.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “December 2010”