Edward's Visitor by John Pegg

Tell us what you thought about the June 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Edward's Visitor by John Pegg

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

To follow the format I used for comments on "Alien Mosquito" (not "Allen Mosquito", or "Philips TseTse Fly" either):

MAYBE he had olives in his martini and the salt was from the brine on / in the olives.

And I'm not sure the demon-in-disguise took Edward's soul -- MAYBE it just killed him before he could be rewarded and set on the path to do more good works. Remember the old "Quantum Leap" TV series (and miscellaneous SF plots, including "The Terminator")? Edward may have been destined to save the lives of others who would be forces for good (even if he followed the bizarro scavenger-hunt instructions for the unspecified Reward, his actions -- instinctively saving the woman from danger -- indicate that he was a decent guy at heart), a Sam Beckett without the multiple PhDs and time travel schtick.

What's that, you say? Demons don't run around killing people? How can you be sure? How many incredible tales of fluke accidents do we hear in an average year? How many tales of miraculous survivals?

Robert "I'm not an Angels' Advocate, I'm just filling in for the regular guy" M.
[smiley=engel017.gif] ::) [smiley=evil.gif]
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on June 21, 2007, 05:13:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

The gods of older religions become the demons of the new. And the priests and priestesses become evil "witches" and "sorcerors". Eblis was probably a minor god before the advent of Judaism and later Islam...

It still seems bizarre to me that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all have some early prophets and holy places in common -- but at one time or another, the three religions have been mortal enemies. Of course, Christian factions have fought Christian factions (although the reasons have been more political / cultural than religious in recent times), and Shiite and Sunni Muslims are killing each other NOW. But I digress (as usual).

If you consider the scenario in "In Deep Cover" (from last month) as plausible, then all the "sides" are part of the same thing (or Same Thing, as Bill would have it) anyway.

Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on June 26, 2007, 03:16:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I’m not a big fan of ghost stories, nor Dark Fantasy, but I do read them occasionally. I should read them more and am planning to.

The intro was Okay, and the setting right for a ghost story. A classic with the wind blowing, a snow storm approaching and a fire warming the living room with an orange glow. A little like Edgar Allen Poe---I almost expected a raven to come knocking at the door.

The intro worked, but a more creative approach could have been developed.

The thumps, then Edward climbing upstairs to his attic-- too stereotype for me. Too much like A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

But, the descriptions and word use was good, and I could feel myself in Edward’s shoe! Nice, I like how he described the encounter with the ghost in the attic, and how just the right amount of description and sensory input ... he should be feeling their breath upon the back of his neck... built towards the climax, when he noticed the ghost.

The dialogue between Edward and the ghost worked, and I enjoyed reading it. But again, it was just a rehash of other stories in which a ghost pops up and wants something!

Now we get to the part I  liked!! The dialogues!! At Bernie’s store, the story started to come alive for me! Yes, I like the dialogue with Bernie! ( I’m assuming that the clerk was Bernie.)  Edward and Bernie started to take on personalities, a little, and I started getting into the story.

At the cafe, it was even better. I could see and hear the other patrons looking, smiling and making comments about the guy that just walked in wearing a life jacket---too little for him and in the dead of winter!

The dialogue was good, and I could get a feel for the cafe and its atmosphere.

For some reason I expected someone to know Edward at the cafe. I get the feeling that Edward lives in a small town, and everyone knows everyone else. I guess I got that from how the story unfolded, but there is no way to determine how large a city Edward lives in or near!

I really like the body of this story and thought it very amusing in which I was entertained.

The ending didn’t work for me at all, but I must say that I did like how Eblis got the upper hand on Raphael. Yes, even in the afterlife one must watch one's back!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “June 2007”