Ochre by Jonathan Lowe

Tell us what you thought about the June 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Ochre by Jonathan Lowe

Post by Megawatts »

The detective is a stereotype, but then again a stereotype detective is always familiar. And the investigation at the beginning seemed like the usual type with the PI asking sharp questions and making snide remarks. All in the days work kind of thing---read it before many of time.

Now the description was solid with just the correct amount of sensory input. And the telling worked. But the characters didn’t come alive for me.

I like the diary format and thought it very fitting for this type of story.

Carter was Flat! Very flat. His interests and life style were explored throughout the story, yet I couldn’t visualize him in my mind, or get a handle on his personality. Some character development with him could have added much to the story.

The family from El Salvador just remained as a back stage prop, with no development. And Rose Celeste?  Come on now, any guy who has eyes for a young lady will surely have some description to add. All people have spirits, wants and desire and the author did start out that way by saying that they came to America for a better life, but then nothing, much. A little dialogue with the father, I believe, who was told that that is their new home.

Carter’s exploration showed some adventure with him checking to see if the opening back to his world through his closet hadn’t narrowed too much. And as I said before, his description and use of words when painting a picture of Ochre left me as if I were walking along with him. Good!

Now we get to the ending. Some might say that Carter made up the whole thing---after all he was a loner and a little weird---for reasons that he would only know. But, finding the pots out back with a strange colored soil in them, suggests that he was experimenting with Ochre’s soil to see if plants would grow. Yet, the opening to Ochre was closing, so I’m not sure if he would have enough time to experiment with plant growth, unless the ferns were from Ochre.

Some character development would have gone a long way in this story. For me the story was un-balanced-----good story line, great description, great entrance into an un-known world with sights and sensory input that really helped to see and feel Ochre. Lacking was good character description.

Over all not a bad story.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “June 2007”