Oh, dear -- another quiet month

Tell us what you thought about the June 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Oh, dear -- another quiet month

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I hope the low number of posts so far is attributable to this being a transitional month when students (college and university) are in transit or about to be, and students (high school) are writing exams, etc.

Certainly the posts that ARE there have been viewed quite a few times ...

Robert "Nothing like a fine whine before dinner" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Oh, dear -- another quiet month

Post by kailhofer »

I wonder if the sideline story contests are draining the energies of the Usual Suspects who would normally start rollicking discussions.
Unless many more Usual Suspects are writing entries, I don't think this can be pinned on the challenge. I waited a week before even posting it and kept everything as much as possible in the background, off-board. Time will tell if I keep getting entries, I suppose.

However, I know of four Suspects who are done with their stories and could be commenting--already discounting Robert, since he's posting. It is eating a bit of my time, but everyone else should be free to post.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

... I meant posts about stories. So posting in non-story-related topics doesn't count (from the authors' perspective anyway) ...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I'm just going to post for the sake of posting. I have a short story on the bubble here. I for one would like to hear some feedback considering it's my first time EVER publishing.

GustD
You sound very frustrated, and I sympathize with you. I haven't read your story yet, but you should know, sometimes critiques are hard to get. Thats just the way the world is.

The people who comment on stories here are volunteers. They do it because they love fiction and want to help writers grow, but real life frequently gets in the way of that. Little league games, work, trying to stay happily married... these things take away our time.

The best way to get critiques is to give them. A lot of them, spread out over several issues. Even so, your first effort or two may not receive a word. But if you make yourself known and join the community, you'll get crits back. It doesn't matter if you don't feel very experienced, every opinion is wanted by any writer. Plus, you might make new friends.

Also, I should add that IMO Aphelion authors get more feedback than at zines with ten times more circulation, or many paid, pro magazines. That's one of the things that makes it great.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
doc
WebMaven

Post by doc »

TaoPhoenix's review of Gust's story has been moved to [link=http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/cgi-bin ... 1182310432]This Thread[/link]
Last edited by doc on June 21, 2007, 08:11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “June 2007”