Genesis by Che Frances Monro

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Genesis by Che Frances Monro

Post by Megawatts »

Descriptive writing telling about a fantasy world, and how the invaders of that world were killed by those who owned that world.

The intro worked, it did get my attention. But I would have liked it to be more of a ‘grabbing’ type.

Most of the characters came alive and took on personalities of their own. The dialogue was okay, and word use good. Everything needed for good storytelling was present in this one.

I couldn’t find anything to nit-pick about, and can see that the author is studying the craft.

Keep reading and writing and practicing. You’re on the right track!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Genesis by Che Frances Monro

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

vates wrote:Just one question: Why thrintun?
Che may have been referring to the ancient (extinct?) race from Larry Niven's Known Space universe:

"The Thrintun (singular Thrint), in Larry Niven's fictional Known Space universe, were a long-extinct species which ruled the galaxy through telepathic mind control. Humans knew them as "Slavers", since "Thrint" is unpronouncable to the human larynx[citation needed]. They debuted in Niven's World of Ptavvs, in 1966." (from the Wikipedia entry for "Thrint")

I don't know whether the Thrintun in this story are meant to be Niven's Thrintun or not... (If not, Che will probably have to change the name to something else if the story is republished; if so, Che may need to get Niven's approval before using the term in any widely-read publication.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Genesis by Che Frances Monro

Post by Lester Curtis »

That name choice may have been strictly accidental.

I know that I have to be careful in naming my aliens. There is a safe way to do this -- but it makes the names difficult for the reader. A random example would be something like "p'Rlbpx." Yeah, they're alien names, no mistaking it, but as a reader, such things bother me.

I choose names that are a little easier to read and/or pronounce. The problem being that they get too close to existing names or words.

Lately, I Googled one of my choices. I did find a match (in a reference to a RPG, IIRC), but kept the name anyway, seeing as it wasn't common, having only a single reference. Now, I don't know whether that name is copyrighted or not. If I take the story to publication, it could become an issue, but thankfully, the "Search and Replace" function makes the change easy -- even if choosing a replacement isn't.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “April 2011”