Finding Our Voices by Richard Tornello

Tell us what you thought about the April 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Finding Our Voices by Richard Tornello

Post by Lester Curtis »

Rick, I liked this one. Hard to say why, though; there isn't much at all going on besides a lot of expository dialog. I guess that the best part of the story is the narrator's internal reaction. And then there's that silent witness, the wolf.

The one thing that made me wonder was the use of copyright symbols attending the brand names of firearms. Maybe this is considered proper in some context somewhere, but in practice, it's a notable rarity; you don't see it done with labels like "Ford" or "Sony" either. I found it odd.

Good stuff, if a bit unusual.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Finding Our Voices by Richard Tornello

Post by Megawatts »

I liked the story; it was well written which usually makes a story clear, and this story was clear, concise, and easy to follow but not juvenile. A nice one.

The wolf witnessed change. And I’m not sure what the copyright symbols represented. Perhaps the copyright symbols meant nothing, perhaps the symbols of some idea although I can’t think of any at the moment. Like the wolf that seemed to represent a witness to change, the copyright symbols might represent a force in that change. I don’t know. But it is interesting to think about their representation.

A nice story with some thought-provoking scenes.
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Finding Our Voices by Richard Tornello

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Rick said that this was a prequel of sorts to "Some Molecular Self-Assembly Required". The wolf in particular was sentient and even telepathic to some degree, but still a wolf by nature (hence killing a deer to eat it was right -- killing one (particularly in a slow and cruel way) and leaving it to rot was not.

The least-evolved (but most 'human'?) viewpoint here was represented by yahoo husband and his even more thoughtless buddy. Some blame this attitude on the Biblical passages in which Adam and Eve were given the task of naming all creatures and having dominion over them (or words to that effect) -- adherents of several major faiths have often taken this to mean that they had the right to treat other animals (and forests, oceans, etc.) in whatever way they chose. The idea that they were expected to act as responsible stewards rather than thoughtless exploiters still eludes them.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2011”