The Friendly Planet by Dave Weaver

Tell us what you thought about the May 2011 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Friendly Planet by Dave Weaver

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Iskoday wrote:My review contains spoilers, be warned.
I was really confused by this story. So they decide not to go through with the mission because of bad dreams? I can get this, I really do, but no space was given over to their fear and apphrension, it was just two bad dreams and suddenly they kill the other crew member. I reread it three times to if I missed something, but I was still very confused. You have a good premise, but it didn't come off well, overall it was very incomplete.
I don't think "they" killed the other crew member -- I think the planet did. This seemed to confirm what the dreams had been telling them -- the place WAS too good to be true, and in fact was full of threats that only became apparent when they caused injury or death. The crew decided to take the hint and cross the planet off the "potential new home for humanity" list. (Of course, it might have been a great place to send people that you wanted to remove from the gene pool...)
:twisted:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

The story reminded me of an old "Star Trek" episode in which a group of hippie types boarded the Enterprise, and eventually forced their way to a planet that they called Eden.

If I remember correctly, once on the planet all the fruits were acid filled, and the grass burned their skin. It was anything but Eden.

The writing was okay, and word choices good.

Nice one!! :D
Tesla Lives!!!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I also found this one confusing. Maybe some kind of psychosis?

It made me think of an old Bradbury story, of some spacemen landing on a planet, and some of them being killed, whilst others find it a paradise -- it was all in their attitudes.

Sorry, Dave, but you need to clarify this a little better.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “May 2011”