Chump Change by Kate Thornton

Tell us what you thought about the August 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Chump Change by Kate Thornton

Post by Lester Curtis »

Delightful! Easy to read, and easy to enjoy.

I got a kick out of Ms. Thornton's name-dropping, too.

Read this thing!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Chump Change by Kate Thornton

Post by Megawatts »

Liked the intro for it reminded me of how Humphrey Bogart or another actor from his era would start a movie. Except in those movies the main character was a private detective, usually divorced, behind on his rent, no work, out of cigarettes---then the good lookin’ red-head would abruptly walked into his office and say something like, “I need a guy who’s not afraid of my ex-husband!” Then she would light-up a cigarette, blow smoke into the air, look at the detective with big-brown eyes and say, “Well?”

The first person does give us closeness to the main character, and this story proves it.

We can almost see and feel Cooks as she handles each situation with tact that was developed by her experiences in the corporation and as a ‘privateer’ hustling work wherever and whenever.

I love Dan Hollifield being in this story! I never thought about putting an Aphelion in a story whether an editor or critiquer. I’ll have to give that some thought.

Nice space story the reminded me of bygone days when private detectives wore long-gray overcoats, used snub-nosed 32s, and always managed the get a good looking red-head with big brown eyes and tons of money to represent. This wasn’t a detective story, but the intro jumped me back into the 50’ when I was a kid and all those intros were something like this one!!

Nice work!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Kate_Thornton wrote:Megawatts,

Thank you for your kind words. I guess as I write a lot of mystery fiction, that '50s detective thing comes through in the space stories, too.

I have placed Dan (and Lester!) in stories several times - it just makes it more fun. I recommend writing fictional lives for us all.

Again, thank you.

Kate
Kate's, of course, was on TV, under the name Captain / Major / Colonel Samantha Carter.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Kate_Thornton wrote:Megawatts,

Thank you for your kind words. I guess as I write a lot of mystery fiction, that '50s detective thing comes through in the space stories, too.

I have placed Dan (and Lester!) in stories several times - it just makes it more fun. I recommend writing fictional lives for us all.

Again, thank you.

Kate
I was in one of yours? I don't recall seeing that (I think I'd remember it) . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Kate,

I would love to be in one of your stories, but I must be a good guy from Pa. Also, I must win, and everybody must love me---I also get all the girls---win at poker, defeat an army of Rambos, and find the final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa!! Hope I'm not asking too much.

I am a Viet-Nam vet!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “August 2011”