The Secret by Ioan Alexandru Despina

Tell us what you thought about the October 2011 issue

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

The Secret by Ioan Alexandru Despina

Post by Lester Curtis »

This is a typical "What the hell was that?!" story . . . nothing is explained -- at least coherently -- even by the main character. His dialog in the tavern wanders drunkenly; of course, he doesn't fully understand it himself. His confusion is very well rendered. And he must be confused, because the other people seem normal in their behavior. Whatever this is, we can't even be sure if it's bad: it's just there, and of course it scares him.

I liked the dialog a lot.

Good story.

By the way, the overall style of the writing reminded me very much of Sergio's.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Secret by Ioan Alexandru Despina

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

bottomdweller wrote:I wanted to expand my early post just a smidge: The Matrix takes on this subject matter, about the dreamer and the dream - however - as is typical of an American frame of reference - they turned it into a battle of right vs wrong. There is a wider range of thought than just good vs evil, but it is often overlooked in sci-fi/fantasy writing.
In the context of this story, the things that the protagonist sees horrify him -- but they don't seem to harm the people, animals or even inanimate objects in any discernible way. Are they evil (assuming that they exist outside of his perceptions) -- or does he only think so because they are (a) black, and (b) tentacle-like? (Maybe he has gained the ability to see The Force!)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “October 2011”