The Legacy by H. R. Gillette

Tells us what you think about the November 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: The Legacy by H. R. Gillette

Post by Lester Curtis »

My question is: how did this get in the "Short Stories" section? It doesn't say "THE END" at the end, it says, "TO BE CONTINUED" . . .

. . .and yes, it caught my interest.

I was confused by the chronology, though . . . the old warrior fights, dies, and turns into a tree, and then he turns up on a farm . . . is this flash-back, or forward progression?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Legacy by H. R. Gillette

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:My question is: how did this get in the "Short Stories" section? It doesn't say "THE END" at the end, it says, "TO BE CONTINUED" . . .

. . .and yes, it caught my interest.

I was confused by the chronology, though . . . the old warrior fights, dies, and turns into a tree, and then he turns up on a farm . . . is this flash-back, or forward progression?
It's my fault -- I told the author that I wanted to know what the consequences would be for the recipient of the mark that in effect controls the greatest treasures of the kingdom (to say nothing of our grizzled and doggedly loyal guardsman).

The soldier did not die -- he used a particular kind of magic that allowed him to merge with and travel through the earth and plant life to a safer location. In the process, if I recall correctly, he was partially (but not completely) healed, so his wounds were survivable with the care provided by the family that took him in. So -- What Happens Next? Let's hope that Ms Gillette has something in mind so we don't have to wait too long to find out.

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “November 2011”