Ramifications by Nurul Fateha

Tells us what you think about the November 2011 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Ramifications by Nurul Fateha

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Iskoday wrote:This story reminded me of a show called "Dead Like Me" (I believe), where certain people become reapers and live amongst us to ferry the dead to the other side. It was amusing and charming, and did not see the revelation in it coming. Very enjoyable.
Nurul wouldn't let me use the word "reaper" in my proposed edited version. She prefers to use the term "death" (although most of us subscribe to the "one Death, many reapers" model of the life-to-afterlife supernatural transition business). George -- a great name for a reluctant reaper (in the TV series)... and any show with Mandy Patinkin must be entertaining.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

bottomdweller wrote:You're (not your) very bad for calling us Merkins. Merkins. It's okay - say something in English - wait a minute, that's the language I speak!
Really, in 400 years we'll need translators to understand those across the pond.
As opposed to (say) Cajuns or folks from the deep South versus Bostonians? And let's not even think about really dense Cockney, Yorkshire, Scots, or Irish dialects, which are all mutually unintelligible.

(Canajuns, on the other hand, tend to have 'mid-Atlantic' newscaster accents for the most part... aside from Quebec, New Brunswick (which is officially bilingual), and Newfoundland (where accents seem to be heavily influenced by a strong Irish component). Pay no attention to Cobie Smulders (who really is from Canada) when she does her 'aboot the hoose' faux-Canuck schtick on "How I Met Your Mother"...)

People from different parts of the world have very different styles, even if they are fully fluent in English. Italians (Sergio for one) tend to be florid and colorful; folks from South Asia (India, Pakistan, ...) have a quite distinctive set of idiomatic expressions and sentence structures even when their use of English may be technically better than 'ours' (North Americans). I tend to be rather fussy and often "fix" things like that when they are not necessarily "broken". (Hooray for dull gray uniformity!)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

BAD dog! Go lay down!

Just kidding -- a marvelous little play on words, and two wicked insults for the price of one!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

This story is an old theme but I liked it. The intro grabs your attention and holds it which is fundamental in the opening of a story. But more should be added---the old sensory inputs that can suck the reader into the scene.

After an accident, your heart will be pounding, your head will be spinning, and if you’ve been knocked down, you’ll feel the brush-burns and sore-spots from the fall. And remember the weather of the day: Hot, cold, sunny, rainy, snowy, etc. Little things often go a long way. We don’t have to deluge the reader with sensory inputs, but the right amount will add to the reading experience, significantly!

Having the Grim-Reaper dressed as a regular human showed how the old theme was made more modern, since so many people wear jeans today. And to see the Grim-Reaper in jeans would be an eye-opener!!

Nice little read---I liked it!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “November 2011”