Night of the Green Devil

Tell us what you thought about the April 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Night of the Green Devil

Post by Lester Curtis »

First, LordoftheMarsh, let me say, welcome to Aphelion. Keep reading; you'll no doubt find a lot more to like here.

As to the story, about all I could think of it is, "This nasty SOB just never quits, does he?" It was a well-written piece, though.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

regrehan wrote:I have no quibbles with either the writing or the pace of the story. Both were well executed.

My only complaint -- and it's likely just me -- was with the fact that the devil could force someone into a compact based solely on unspoken wishes. Even fleeting wishes that the wisher may be unaware of (see the phrase: "...not knowning what the Green Devil meant..."). When I read that, I thought -- sheesh, if *that's* how it works, then the Green Devil could just walk down the street, peeking into hearts and minds left and right: "I know what it is that YOU wish ... and YOU ... and YOU..." Pretty soon, he'd have the whole country in his pocket. Heck, the whole world, given time.

But again, maybe it's just me.
It wasn't just you. See my previous comment. I'm accustomed to the more traditional satanic contract: the one signed in blood, that bursts into flame the instant you sign it.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I don't think the rules were quite as loose as you think... the party of the second part had to be aware of the possibility of a bargain, as the boy was when his Master was killed, and as the second-generation boy (who was not exactly an innocent) was. Strangers on the road having passing thoughts ("Boy, I sure wish I was as rich as Lord Arglebargle! Then I wouldn't have to spend half my time shoveling manure, and the other half feeding the hogs so they can make more manure...") wouldn't qualify, as they wouldn't know there was even the possibility of a deal.

Sergio, of course, made his deal being fully aware of the consequences (hence his frequent posts in the "plug their work" thread). However, he has called up the ghost of Daniel Webster to prepare his defense in advance... (I think he will claim to be a worshiper of the old Roman gods, and therefore not bound by a Judeo-Christian demon / fallen angel. You know, the old "you can't take me -- you don't have jurisdiction! Neener neener, eh eh eh" strategy.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

regrehan wrote:Re: "the party of the second part had to be aware of the possibility of a bargain"
I'll have to take your word on that -- it was not at all clear to me.

Admittedly, you're dealing with a devil here, so any hope of consistent rules is a wasted hope. Given that the devil twisted the words "I want nothing from you" -- when the boy's intent was to NOT enter into a compact -- then intent means nothing, but words do. And, later, Nicholas said nothing, but apparently let some wish bubble to the surface of his mind, which the devil latched onto as binding -- so, then, words don't matter, but intent (of some sort) apparently does. Finally, the devil tells us that "[h]e has sinned in this world, and that is all that is required to deal with me." ... well, who in this world would that requirement exclude?
If intent matters, then the offhand "I wish that bugger would drop dead!" thoughts that cross most minds at least once per day (unless that's just ME...) wouldn't count because the wisher would have no expectation that his or her wish might have some effect. Again, I think the awareness that the wish (spoken or not) MIGHT be granted is necessary here.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2012”