Saint Paul of the Pharm by Jo Ollinger

Tell us what you thought about the May 2012 issue

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Saint Paul of the Pharm by Jo Ollinger

Post by Lester Curtis »

Well, there is some validity to the premise of this story -- hallucinogens have been used in religious ceremonies for a very long time, and there's a reason for that -- that everything we experience as religion or spirituality (or everyday reality) is simply brain chemistry. Given just the right dosage and formulation of neurotransmitters, it may be possible for just about anyone to think they've seen god. Then again, so can fever-induced hallucination, or even asphyxiation. And I rather think that the dosage and formulation would need to be carefully adjusted to the individual for optimum effect.

Whether they remain convinced or not is another question. The first time I had the experience of having the characters in my story "take on lives of their own," the effect was indeed profound, but I figured out what was going on pretty quickly. Same thing with this hypothetical drug, in my opinion. Therefor, Paul's ultimate reaction in this story is a bit of a strain on my credulity, especially as he understands it so well.

I'm sure some corporations would like to use something like this as a substitute for vacation time for their employees. And a lot of the employees wouldn't mind a bit.

Anyway, where is the FDA in all this? Oops -- never mind; they're all enjoying themselves in Nirvana, or maybe just Acapulco.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

"A gram is better than a damn."

Though it must have been some weak-assed shit to take that much . . .
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Zorro wrote:http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/ ... Pharm.html

It not only is possible, it is inevitable.

Great story. Should be a classic.
I think I'll pass on the Kool-aid.

Return to “May 2012”